Monday, May 4, 2015

10 Uses For A Glass Pie Plate

The humble glass pie plate does more than
 just bake pies. It's one of my favorite
kitchen tools. I have several. 
I keep them handy, stacked in the pots
cabinet by the stove.
I find them for $1.00 or less at my
favorite thrift store. They are thick and
can go in the oven, microwave, freezer
 and dishwasher.
Here's how I use them:
1. Of course they're great for making pies
 and quiches.
2. Bake an oven pancake.
3. Perfect for heating up leftovers in the
microwave, use them to cover the plate.
 or use 2 together to keep dinner warm in 
the oven for the late-comer.
4. It makes nice rimmed salad plate.
5. Fits on top pots. Use as a see-through
lid for a pan missing it's lid.
6. Bake a small dinner casserole or side dish.
7. Use as a saucer for a potted plant.
8. I use them when coating chicken;
1 for breadcrumbs,
1 for flour, 1 for eggs. Less mess.

9. It's a nice shallow bowl for mixing and
coating the bread for french toast.
10. Use them instead of a dinner plate when
 serving pasta, the rim prevents spill-overs.
This makes it a good plate to use for children.
Keep your eye out for these kitchen helpers
the next time you're at the thrift store
 or garage sale. They'll become an essential
item for you too.

Cheers!


pop over to Rita's Recipes for
all of the recipes mentioned here.
Follow me on Facebook!
Links: Between Naps On The Porch,
Dwellings, Coastal Charm, 

4 comments:

  1. I have two and love them! Thanks for sharing the many uses...I will start using them more often.
    Have a lovely week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally bought my first pie plate last year and have used it for everything but baking a pie... I should probably do something about that soon!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a stack of glass pie plates too, and use them a lot. They make great plates for a backyard picnic, and I use them to corral craft supplies. I hadn't thought of using them as plate covers in the microwave, though. I'll give that a try. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the ideas! Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

    ReplyDelete