Wednesday, May 18, 2011

We MAY'd A Potting Bench

I've always wanted a potting bench.
I got motivated again after my trip to a
Delray Beach garden center HERE.
I picked this spot behind the house.
 It's hidden and shady.
Shady is very important in south Florida.
 The cast of bedraggled characters. Our old sink. I've saved it for years.
The picket fence that I've used as a headboard HERE and as a patio fence HERE.
Three discarded trash cans. One for trash, one for potting soil and one for compost. 
We re-used, re-clained, re-purposed, re-cycled, re-MAY'd !
The ugly before area.
Gentlemen, start your saws!
Cut a hole for the sink.
We decided to extend the top to cover all three garbage cans.
Added a shelf to the bottom.
 A good long work surface.
 We cut a hole into the top to scrape waste
right into the garbage can beneath .
 Testing it out.
I decided to stain the top and paint the rest white.
I stained the top with some leftover stain and several coats of poly.
Narrow shelves for pots.
 View towards the pool.
It's always nice and shady.
 We'll paint the rest of the wood white. Soon.
It gets a little breeze off the lake in the back.
This is what we call the Doggie Yard because it's fenced in for them.
I kept an old chair under the tree.
Lucy always likes to be close by.
 We added a new path with
Chattahoochee rocks and stepping stones.
We added new sod.
 Plenty of putter space.
MAY'd in the shade!

Cheers!

Links: No Minimalist Here, Centsational Girl,
The Charm Of Home, My Romantic Home,
Common Ground, Funky Junk

25 comments:

  1. Love it! I especially love the pooch on her pillow on the bench! I'm showing this to hubby! I desperately need one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice place..space, it's perfect and pleasant. Smart planning too...enjoy many days out there planting and potting to your hearts content with that sweet little one napping the day away! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rita, Your new potting bench is so cute! It was a great idea incorporating the sink and the top over the trash cans. Love your lake view. Thanks for joining my party!
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH Rita, I just love your yard... the sink is perfect...

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita, it is fabulous . I love it and you do have a ton of surface space to work with. Perfect. You did good and it looks fantastic. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your new potting area. What a great place to putter ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic! Great job!
    Love the cute Lucy too!

    Hugs
    Charo

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love it...what a great new space. I love the glossy new wood top, the sink, the garbage cans covered & integrated, the path - ALL OF IT! brilliant!

    www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love everything about this! Especially the fence behind it. You've thought of literally everything. I'm an avid gardener and this would be perfect for me. I also have Yorkies!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great and useful makeover of that space. Adding the little shelves for the pots adds a nice decorative, and again useful, touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great and very user friendly...enjoy! Laurel@chippingwithcharm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! It's gorgeous and so functional! I would love to have one outside my house! You did an amazing job! Have a wonderful weekend! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! I'm sure it will be very useful too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderul post. i was wondering if you could do a post on how you do your compost in a garbage can. what a cheap and great idea. also what kind of dog do you have? thanks
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Rita! You rock, I love this!! I am featuring it next week. I had to blow that one photo up and check out that wine bottle edging! That is so cool! Very Floridian! I can say that because my Mom and Grandad were from there. So fun, love it all! I especially love the old sink! Great way to use it! Thanks for linking this up!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that is just fabulous the way you pulled that all together!
    Looks warm and lovely!
    ~Pam
    pamspaintparlor.typepad

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful! Looks great! I have been contemplating something similar! Just love this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hopping over from Censational Girls Outdoor Party. Hope you enjoy my 'patio time' post. (link #205)

    Such a creative, beautiful and useful potting shed you have made. So fun.

    Happy summer . . . fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. It turned out perfect - working at that potting bench sure wouldn't feel like work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great, makes me wish I had a yard!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have an old workbench I'm turning into a potting bench. It's my Memorial Day weekend project. Love the stained top! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Rita May, I love your potting bench! And I really love how you found a way to hide the trash cans!
    tot

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your potting bench turned out great! Lots of useful working space. Have fun potting!
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! I am still looking. I need one with storage also!

    ReplyDelete