Monday, May 30, 2011

Salvage A Kitchen Cabinet

We got all the old kitchen cabinets from my niece Christina's kitchen remodel.
 Projects!  Projects! Projects!
Here's how we MAY'd this one.
 I came up with the brainiac idea of using one of the 
leftover base cabinets for extra storage in our van. 
 Lucy thinks this will work!
 The cabinet is way too big, so I suggested that we just saw it in half.
 Larry was skeptical, but gave it a try.
 It worked. We measured and cut right up the the drawer backs.
We added a piece of leftover plywood to the top.
The back before closing. Look at all that extra storage!
 We added a piece of leftover beadboard to the back 
and on the one side that can be seen.
 We added a little trim around the edge to keep things from sliding off.
I stained the plywood top and trim then added a coat of poly.
I also rubbed a little stain onto the cabinet doors and drawer fronts,
 To prep the van we removed the third seat from the back. 
 Larry built a level platform for the cabinet.
 Now, I'm looking at the floor and think it needs a makeover too.
 The cabinet will fit nicely on the platform 
and can be securely bolted down.
 There's an outlet on the floor for the toaster and dust buster.
Here's a sneak peak.
Click HERE to see my next post for the complete van reveal.

Links: Coastal Charm, A Stroll Thru Life,
The Lettered Cottage

6 comments:

  1. Wow ~ what a great idea and I love that you repurposed this cabinet. Yay ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I would have never thought of this. I love it!
    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great does everything look! You guys are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really worked out well. I love how you repurposed the leftover cabinet and how well it fits in now.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is just toooooooo clever. It is perfect. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete