Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pinecone Finials & Thrifty Window Treatments

While we were still visiting Kim in TX for Christmas, I did a little "tweaking" in the family room.
 Before: The windows needed a little color, but there was no budget yet for window treatments.
 The window by the kitchen.
 Using mostly what we had on hand, I made window treatments. We started with one closet dowel and a pair of wooden brackets. 
I brought the chambray tab top window panels I had used in my bedroom. We needed one more wooden closet dowel and another pair of brackets. We (Larry) painted everything black with the paint we had. I dyed the curtain panels red. I needed to cut one panel in half to fit the smaller spaces between the windows. I Ironed them and used seam binding for the raw edge. 
 Larry installed them. I needed to find fine free finials! What to use?
Ah Ha!
I sprayed 4 pinecones black and used hot glue to attach them to the ends.
 They like like wrought iron finials.
This picture has no finials!. Completely unacceptable! 
When Kim got home from work she loved the transformation and thought that it looked like a completely different room. She commented that, of course I would think of using pinecones for finials. No surprise there!

In the future, she can always upgrade the window panels. But for now they'll work just fine. 

Cheers!

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. They look fabulous. I love the red and the pinecones are just so creative. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and a good example of making do and how wonderful it looks in the after photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea, I too have a closet dowel for my curtain rod in the living room and I added two Kings from a oversized chess game and they look really good too. I sew so I made the drapes and the valances (I even lined them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! Great job! The panels made a beautiful difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rita! This is the kind of post that gets my heart pumping!! Oh the originality and beauty you created out of forgotten items. I love the red, the softness, the rod... You get the idea! Thanks so much for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rita May, I just wanted to let you know I featured these today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang! That is sooooooooooooo clever! I would never, ever, EVER have thought of pine cones...and I LOVE the look. Just perfect. I'll be remembering this one!

    Warm blessings,
    Spencer

    PS.. Love the blue plate arrangement. How beautiful is that???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Try to buy the product from some established manufacturer as you will have a wide variety of options and you may even get the desirable size.

    ReplyDelete
  9. On sites selling these types of windows, the first thing to look at are the materials. Double glazing prices online are heavily influenced by the costs of the materials used to construct them. Doing some light research on what varieties of material are used how much they cost, and what the preferences of the buyer are will be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to be able to find good information from your articles.
    my webpage > play online

    ReplyDelete