Tuesday, January 4, 2011

McKinney, TX

McKinney is just north of Dallas and about 25 minutes from Kim's house. I always like to visit this charming town on our trips to TX.
 The town was founded in 1848.
 The historic downtown is filled with interesting shops and lots of restaurants.
From Thanksgiving thru Christmas the calendar is filled with festive Christmas events; tree lighting ceremony, candlelight shopping, Dickens Days, carolling, sleigh rides, parades and a visit from Santa.
 The town is all dressed up for Christmas. Each tree is filled with tiny lights. Beautiful after dark.
"Even stop lights blink bright red and green"
We were here for a late lunch. When I entered "Gather" I said yes!
This is what I had in mind.
The view to the front door. 
Filled with crystal chandeliers. Note the square wreath.
I couldn't get a good picture of the square wreath without the window glare. It's burlap wrapped around a square frame, topped with a cream satin ribbon. There are three clear glass ornaments hanging from the ribbon with twine. I love this wreath!
The back wall has cubbies filled with white tea pots.
They also serve afternoon tea with tea sandwiches and sweets.
 All the tables are covered with  white linen tablecloths and  butcher brown paper runners.
The silverware is bundled with twine.
The adjoining room is filled with salvaged architectural and industrial elements.
All the decor is for sale.
Metal conveyor racks as art. 
A tin wash basin becomes a lamp suspended from a rope.
The crystal lamps juxtaposed against the salvage items.
Lots of small and large chandeliers.
Bold oil paintings.
Salvaged old windows, an old cabinet, wood trough, and  rusty outdoor lantern,
all make an interesting vignette.
A cluster of hotel silver creamers are used as a centerpiece.
Galvanized ribbed sheet metal becomes an awning by the bar. 
A little moss is strewn on top. Caged lamps complete this look.

Lunch or tea at Gather McKinney is also a feast for the eyes.
Cheers!




4 comments:

  1. Hi lovely lady.
    I love your blog.All the tea pot's and the beautiful Chandeliers to die for ~~~~~~ We have some friends with the Galvanized sheet over the bar!! only in Texas!!!~~We have a home in League City, Texas!!!! I hope you have a Great Day TEXAS Lady.~~~
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are having a blast. Jumped to your site because of the chicken feeder, I want one really bad!! Reading up on you and looking at old posts I find you are from Frankfurt a/M.......small world, I'm from Offenbach, a/M.
    Have a great day! VBg

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad I read this post on McKinney. I live 30 miles north and it's my favorite town. I've never noticed this restaurant, but now can't wait to go there. Thanks for focusing on it. Love your blog and especially your kitchen island. I've been trying to think of a way to make one and think I might be able to copy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a spectacular place! that wall holding the teapots is amazing!!!

    Great to have you be a part of "Oh the PLACES I've been!". Hope to see you next week!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete