Sunday, August 28, 2011

Guest Bedroom Makeover

The master guest room is filled with 
yellow, blue, green and painted white
 furniture. Here are the after photos:
The chippy green picnic basket was found at the
 Canton, TX Antiques market. It's topped with a
 Longaberger lidded cake basket and a straw hat.
All the fabrics including liners, table topper, 
drapery panels, and bedding are from Longaberger.
The lamp is filled with shells collected long 
ago by daughter Kim on beach vacations.
A small bench holds a large collection of
hand crocheted thrifty throws.
Larry built this small ladder for me. 
I painted it blue and use it to
 hang a few vintage quilts. 
The quilts are topped with pillowcases hand trimmed
 with heart crochet and patchwork squares.
Those are topped with monogrammed and
 a  few vintage handkerchiefs. 
I left the antique mirror above the dresser
 in it's original wood. I'm still deciding if I want
 to paint that white too.
We added  beadboard to the lower wall and 
painted it yellow. ( Newborn by Glidden)
The wall above is washed in leftover blue paint.
(Enchantment by Glidden)
The king-size bed fits on the window wall.
The two night tables on each side of the bed
have a pair of Portmeirion lamps. 
I found them on clearance at Marshall's years ago.  
small Portmeirion clock, a beverage basket, 
a crystal water caraffe and glass and a few books
 were also added. A stack of Longaberger 
baskets on the side is used for extra storage.
An antique wicker standing sewing basket.
A needlepoint covered brick is used for a door stop.
These were very popular to make years ago. 
This one was my mother-in-law's.
I found this old, very heavy, solid wrought iron
 headboard on Craigslist for $20. 
I just sprayed it white. 
Another throw is draped at the foot of the bed. 
This one was found for $4 and matched the 
room colors perfectly.
Here's the dresser before we painted it white.
We found the three pieces on Craigslist for $65.
After painting.
The two night tables before.
 Painting everything white.
We removed the hardware and 
left that the dark bronze color.
Room before.
The old furniture in the room.
This is the set we took to Texas and painted black for
 our granddaughter's bedroom. You can see that HERE.
Before.
After.
Bed and Breakfast. . . you make both! *

Cheers!
(*I'll always make you breakfast!)


24 comments:

  1. Beautiful room, you used colors that are timeless. Blue and Yellow together never go out of style. I love the yellow and white quilt you have on the ladder. Everything looks very cheery:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty bedroom. It's bright, airy and happy. I love what you did to it!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita,

    Great room! Very welcoming! Your guests will love this.

    Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you take reservations? I love what you did with the room. It's so warm and welcoming. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful bedroom and so warm and inviting. Your guests will be so happy to have such a lovely place to stay. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful retreat you've made for your guests! I'd be thrilled to stay in that lovely room. It's so welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rita! I love your pretty bedroom! I know I would certainly feel comfy and at home in there! Love the colors and all of your vintage items.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some really great items that you got a really good deal on.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweetie to make the ladder. It makes for a gorgeous way to display your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cheery room! Lucky guests! I love the headboard and love that it was $20. Nice!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very fun and bright! Love your linens and afghans!

    HMM!

    love,kelee

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty and fresh and crisp looking!! LOVE the white , yellow and blue color scheme!!
    Stunning!!
    All the vintage pieces are so charming!!
    A truly fantastic looking room!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rita,
    Lovely room and I love your triple dresser. I've been looking for one for some time now. Wish me luck.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely guest room... your guests will not want to leave... truly a relaxing and peaceful setting you have created. The makeover of the dresser and side tables is brilliant! Love that you left the mirror in its original dark colour - adds great contrast... Happy Monday .xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just love it! The colors are great, the bedding and furniture re-dos!
    Plus you did a wonderful job decorating a very special guest room!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to stay in that room. My favorite colors and I love picnic baskets, especially Longaberger!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love blues and yellows together. The green give it the garden feel.

    It is a very cheerful room and will make anyone feel welcomed.

    A little tea and scones on the bed tray and I'm there ;)

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    Home to Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful transformation...love your cherry yellow!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Rita! What a wonderful bedroom. So pretty, fresh and cheerful! Found you via Southern Hospitality. Pop on over for a visit when you get a moment. Tootles, Kathryn
    http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/08/goodwill-artwork.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love this room, so bright and cheery, and the nightstands are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can I come be your guest? I am working on a bedroom redo for my daughter right now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So very pretty. Love all the yellow and blue - wonderfully done. And all those baskets - fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful, beautiful decorating!!! I thought I was going to be the first asking if they can be "the guest", but I see I am going to have to wait in line! You have a wonderful eye for putting it all together! And I esp. love the crocheted afghans! Will be back often!!!

    Hugs from Michigan - Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ηmm it ѕeems like уouг
    ωеbsіtе ate my fігst commеnt
    (it wаs extremelу long) sο I guesѕ I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm
    thoгoughlу enjоying your blog.
    I аѕ well am an aspіring blοg blοggег
    but Ӏ'm still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for newbie blog writers? I'd gеnuinely
    аpрreciate іt.

    Loοk at mу web site: which halogen oven

    ReplyDelete