Sunday, June 12, 2011

Bedroom Makeover at Kim's

Kristina's bedroom makeover. 
While we were visiting our daughter Kim last Christmas, we did a little decorating, here, here, here, here and here. Our biggest project was painting a set of bedroom furniture that we brought with us in our van. It was for our teenage granddaughter, Kristina. She had already chosen the bedding and drapery panels, so I decided to paint the furniture black. Black Suede by Behr. This set has seen many family bedrooms; first it was my in-laws guest bedroom set,
then my guest bedroom set, then my mother's guest bedroom set,
and now it's in Texas. 
before: The end table went from this above.
after: to this.
before: The pink lamps went from this.
after: to this.
 I painted the lamp bases black. I used a wide black Sharpie pen to paint over
 the pink velvet ribbon trim that's at the top and bottom of the shade.
before: The large dresser and mirror. 
It's a solid wood furniture with clean classic lines that was worth painting.
This gave her lots of drawer space.
 We removed the drawers to paint. It took three coats of black paint.
The mirror attaches to the back of the dresser.
11 drawers. 
She now has tons of space for her tons of stuff.
 We found a matching zebra shaded lamp at Marshalls.
 It matches her bedding and drapery panels.
 There are two big drawers in each of the end tables.
 We made the headboard with a large piece of MDF, added molding, painted it black and 
attached it the the wall using a French cleat method.
after! This is some of what we did on our Christmas vacation !

*No before pictures of the actual teenagers bedroom are available.
All images of said before bedroom are classified.




14 comments:

  1. Very nice...I just love before and after posts! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a great job. Everything looks fabulous. I love the black and the entire room looks wonderful. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I love paint! What a great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks great! it's amazing how fresh and modern it looks now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great makeover!...love this! And that was brilliant using a sharpie to color the ribbon on the lampshade,I need to remember that.Thanks!

    Hey I'm having my first giveaway June 15th!
    Sure hope you can join us(HappierThanAPigInMud),we are having a cookalong with the Pillsbury Doughboy and I'm giving away a Pillsbury cookbook and a doughboy.
    ~JO
    Lazyonloblolly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great makeover, I bet she LOVES her room now! We used to ahve furniture very similiar: it was my Aunt's , then ours, then my sisters, now I have one piece again. I may have to paint it black, I LOVE it! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Tuesday!

    Lovely project~ a true metamorphosis.

    If you get a chance, please stop by my blog and enter the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors, and its awesome that this bedroom set keeps living on, My first bedroom set is now in my guest room, but before it was passed down to my daughter. She wants it back once she gets her own bedroom again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGoodness !
    I love your blog banner,
    with all the amazing plates !
    And this bedroom makeover is amazing,
    I just needed to take a minute to comment on a beautiful job !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the headboard! My guestroom is filled with furniture a friend was taking to the dump. I painted it black and it looks fantastic! What a little paint will do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a difference that black paint made to that furniture, Rita May! I was also admiring the pancake in the post above this one. It must have been delicious when it was filled!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too VERY cute! What a difference a can of black paint makes! Good for you!

    Visiting from MMS Linky Party
    WHYCUZICAN at Blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and the headboard is awesome. Love the painted dressers and nightstands too!

    ReplyDelete