Thursday, May 22, 2014

How To Make A Perfect Pot Of Tea

I always, always, always, make tea in a
teapot and never, never, never
just in a mug!

It's one of my top 2 pet peeves.
Ok I have more, but this is at the top.
YUK!
I do not like to see a tea bag hanging
 out of a mug. I do not like a tea bag just 
dunked a few times in a mug. I do not like a
wet tea bag in sight. I do not like it anywhere. 
Besides, Dunking a bag up and down a few
times doesn't give the tea a chance to
brew. Tea needs time. That one tea bag will
make a whole pot of tea, 4-6 cups.
It's just too easy to make a proper
pot of tea.  It's so civilized.
Tea drinking should be a pleasure.

To make tea properly there are a few crucial
 steps, and just two ingredients;
tea and water.
A kettle to boil the water and a tea pot
 (now you're talking!) is essential to brew
the tea. You'll need one (or two, if you
 you like it very strong) tagless tea bags,
or loose tea in a tea ball.
1. Fill your kettle with fresh cold water,
from your tap is fine.
2. Bring the water just to a boil, before the
kettle is fully whistling.

 3. Do not let it continue to boil or use instant
 hot water. It will give you a flat,
dull tasting tea. 

4. Pour a little of the hot water into your
 tea pot, replace the lid and give the pot
 a little swirl and let sit for 30 seconds. 
Pour out the water thru the spout.
This warms the pot and spout.
 5. Add the tea bag. I prefer tagless,
they're cheaper. Now replace the lid and
 warm the bag for 30 seconds.
 This gently releases the tea oils.
OK you can skip this step
....baby steps people.

6.  Now gently pour in the water to fill the pot. 
Cover with the lid and let steep
 for 3-5 minutes.
7.  Give the tea a stir and remove the bag.
Leaving the bag in after it has brewed will
make the tea taste bitter.

8.  Now pour yourself a lovely cuppa tea! 
Tea on a New Jersey porch
Even when I'm visiting family, I'll find their
one hidden teapot, wash it and put it to use.
Click on the photo above to read that post.
You can add milk, sugar, or lemon to your
cup. I like mine straight. Tealightful!

 Pass the cucumber sandwiches and scones
Tea is lovely to share, but 
I do this even if it's only just for me.
 I can pour myself a second cup. Then, after
the tea cools I'll save it for iced tea.
 One of my dislikes is a teabag in a cup or
mug with the string and tag hanging out.

 Dislike is a mild way of saying that it totally
makes me nuts! Along with: wine in a paper
 cup, instant coffee, instant anything really,
no turkey on Thanksgiving, pillows askew,
ugly soap dispensers, ugly coffee mugs,
chairs that aren't pushed in around the table,
......sorry, you get the idea.
I think I need a cup of tea from one of my
cute teapots. I love, love, love teapots!!
 Here are sone of the teapot you've seen in
my blog post over the years.



































Cheerio!
*see my post on the benefits of buying 
teabags tagless v strings here.

also
Featured on The Charm Of Home

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tea brewing tips. I recently have been forced to forego caffeine, so I've switched to herbal tea and I will try your tips today! I love your teapot collection. I've often said I would love to start collecting them, but can't figure out where I would display them: teacups and dishes have already taken over! Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree with you more. My Irish mother always prepared tea this way, as do I. She would "hotten the pot" first with boiling water too. Nothing tastes better than a cup of tea in a china cup.
    Your teapot collection is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Rita, Thank you for posting this. I like fresh brewed tea, but could never figure out why mine always turned out bitter. I always thought to "steep" the tea I had to leave the teabags in the teapot for the duration of the pot of tea. I will follow your directions and I'm sure it will turn out great now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rita,
    I enjoyed your post on making tea in a teapot - I love tea, but I'm usually the "mug type". I have my teapot out and am getting ready to make a pot! Loved looking at your collection of tea pots, as well!! Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Lanita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, dear!! I am BIG trouble! I drink herbal tea in the morning and make it in a mug with my coffee/hot water maker. I do own a couple of teapots. I guess I will have to try your method and see if I can tell a difference. I am always just so happy that the cup of tea is really hot! Thanks for the tips, though. My son-in-law is from Bermuda and he is a serious tea drinker. He will be so impressed that I serve him this way!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tea too, but usually do not fuss much for myself, I need to change that. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your tips. I am guilty of the tea bag in a mug. I plan to use your tips and do better.
    Your teapot collection is amazing. Would you believe I own three tea pots. Shame on me.

    How do you clean the tea stains?

    I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your parade of tea pots.
    Wanda @weekendwanderlust.co

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for posting the tea brewing tutorial. I am going to print it out for reference to make sure I do it right! I love the blue and pink willow pots!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a tealightful post. And I didn't know about putting the tea bag in the warm pot for a bit before adding the water. Will give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips on brewing tea Rita May. I have a new tea I have been drinking and it has the tags with these cute little sayings. I was going to get pictures of the tag but, you made me reconsider. LOL! I see what you mean about the wet bag and the tag. As of yet, I haven't photographed that either. You have a wonderful collection of tea pots! That white with blue Corning Ware pot we had on the stove the whole time I grew up. Thanks for sharing this!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will feature this today at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found you.....my 36 year old son stopped over one day and as always I said want a cup of tea. I then turned the gas on under kettle...he snapped you didn't dump out old water and put in cold....I knew I had raised a tea drinker..

    ReplyDelete