Sunday, April 15, 2012

GUTEN APPETIT!

When you're German you need a different sign in your kitchen. 
 One that that says Guten Appetit
not Bon Appetit
Of course these are very hard to find 
at the usual places...so I made one.
This one I took to my daughter Kim's house
in Texas. I visited there for Easter.
I found a piece of 1"x10" wood in the garage,
 which is actually 3/4"x9".
This has always puzzled me.
Why do they measure wood like that? 
I need to get to the bottom of this. 
Anyway, Larry cut it to size, about 24".
 I couldn't make one bigger than my suitcase.
 I also found some trim pieces for the
 top and bottom.
 I painted the board with leftover wall paint
that we used to paint our kitchen in
North Carolina.
It's a golden color called High Plateau by Behr
and I painted the trim in black.
 I picked out a German-looking font,
Lucida Blackletter and printed it out
 in the outline option in about 250 pt. size
 and regular (not condensed) spacing.
I then used carbon paper
to trace the letters onto the board. 
 Now I just need to paint in the letters.
 I used a paint pen. Easy.
Its a DecoColor oil base paint marker
 from any crafts store, like Michaels. 
 This is the empty space above the
pantry doors where it will hang.
Spaced on the wall area, not the door.
(Looks better in person.)
Now I need to make one for my kitchen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I make all my signs this way. 
See more signs by clicking on: 
Cheers!






10 comments:

  1. Oh the sign turned out so pretty! It looks great above the door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet your daughter loved her gift! You've made her a family heirloom. I love this sign, I love it when people bring some of their culture into their homes! How do you think it would look in Gaelic? LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sign turned out great and I appreciate the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love that sign!!...it turned out great!!...that was such a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tried this, but I hate to pay high dollars for signs in craft stores... I'm going to give this a shot! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! So original too! (except for those Germans- LOL) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never even knew they made those paint pens. I need to hightail it over to Michael's. very cute sign. Love the yellowish color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did so good on your sign and what a perfect place to hang it too!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I have to make a sign like this for my husband's aunt. His grandparents came here from Germany and his aunt occasionally speaks it for fun. This would make the perfect gift for her - even though she doesn't cook, she likes to eat. LOL! Thank you so much for the inspiration! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete