Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fall Thrifty Throws

I brought out my collection of hand crocheted
afghans in bold fall colors for the family room.
They are so dog gone cozy.
I've stacked six of them on the antique
school desk behind the sofa.
Someone spent a lot of time making these.
Each one is different.
Handy to just grab one if you want a 
cozy spot, if it ever gets cooler here.
I toss them on the back of my sofas,
or on the arm of a chair.
 I find them in thrift stores for a few dollars.
After throwing them in the washer with
 laundry detergent and Downy fabric softener,
I throw them in the dryer.
 They are so dog gone soft and snuggly.
Just ask the girls!
 Princess
 Lucy
 Good spot for
 napping.
Even camera-shy Lucky can't 
resist a throw.
A little Fall color and 
creature comfort.
Cheers!

14 comments:

  1. They do look so perfect for fall weather! I have a few that my Mom made and boy do I treasure them. Yours definitely remind me of the ones she gave us. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great week!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty. Love them all. Does washing in Downy make even the older, harder yarns go back to soft? I have a afghan my grandmother made that feels too hard to use.

    Such cute dogs! Dropping by from BNOTP.

    Allison
    Atticmag
    Hidden Laundry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison, I wash them with detergent and Downy fabric softener and they turn out very clean and soft. Ones made from 100% wool might 'felt', so check first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I showed Dickens the photos of your sweet pups. He thought that they would be fun to have over for a play day. The throws are wonderful. I could see a couple of them as part of a tablescape. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lovely afghans really cozy up a room. I have loved to crochet and have made a lot of throws and baby blankets for family and a few for us. Thanks for sharing your great collection, Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, what an AMAZING stash of afghans! They're all gorgeous! And so are your helpers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great collection of Afghans. Lovely to look at, delightful to use.
    Sheila in Key West www.Raggedykingdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rita, these are gorgeous. You must share where you find these thrift stores in South Florida. I have such a difficult time finding them. I love how you grouped them. Gorgeous.

    Much love,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do look cozy and I just adore the colors that they used in those vintage blankies. So nostalgic for Grandma's house. andrea@townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I had to run check my linen cupboard. Thought for a minute there when I saw the second photo that you had the first afghan I ever made. :) It really is cozy to cuddle under.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your collection of afghans is beautiful. They add a "snuggle" effect where ever they lay. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete