Saturday, September 14, 2013

Five Ways I Add Fall

When you live in the land of sun, sand, and 
surf, you have to create your own Fall. 
Changing seasons are a state of mind in South Florida.
1. Hang A Fall Wreath: 
A different wreath for each season creates 
a festive welcome. A simple grapevine or
 straw wreath is easily changed without 
making a new one each time. 
A 3M command adhesive hook works well
on metal and glass doors.
2. Dress Up The Table: 
Changing the centerpiece, table runner, 
and placemats is an easy start. 
Then I just add a few natural elements: 
pinecones, leaves, branches, and candles.
This was featured in Country Living.
3. Redo the Sofa: 
Change the pillows, add a colorful throw or
 quilt and you're done. I'll want to snuggle 
under a cozy throw at night anyway. 
I know Lucy does!
4. Change Your Entry
Mums from the garden center and colorful 
crotons, if you live in the South, instantly 
add Fall color. Choose a few more natural
 elements: Indian corn, pinecones, a bale of
 hay, or an old salvaged apple bushel basket
filled with pinecones. It all works. In 
October I add pumpkins and scarecrows. 
That will last through November. 
5. Fall Focal Point Vignettes: 
If you're lucky, you have a fireplace
 mantle you can decorate.
If not, it can be your coffee table, entry
 table, buffet, or anyplace that you see a lot. 
Give it that old Fall feeling. I Use cloches, 
apothecary jars, birdcages, lanterns, and
baskets...of course. Fill them with: acorns,
 corn, corks, mini pumpkins, gourds, or
anything found around the house
 with fall colors. 
I change the colors in my home by adding: 
red, gold, browns, and tans to my mostly blue
 decor. I begin by adding a little red or gold 
in September. To that I add orange in
October, and to those colors I add brown
 and tan in November. It's a layering of
colors. Most of the accessories are in
storage bins and I can bring in a little
each month. It all coordinates. 
I change my everyday dishes and the 
coffee station and mugs and the bed and
the kitchen counters and the doggie's dish
 and.....well you get the idea! FALL! 


Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. Rita, these are great tips and inspiration photos! Fall is my favorite season; and I love the rich, warm colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to incorporate some fall elements into my blue, white and yellow bedroom. Challenging - but I think it will work out okay. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Changing seasons are definitely a state-of-mind here in the AZ desert, and my mind chooses to go all out with Fall decor. I've never been a fan of the typical Southwest decor, choosing instead warm and earthy colors. I really could leave my Fall decor up all year round and not get tired of it! I really like your big bowl of pinecones and have one very similar as the centerpiece on my dining room table. I really like what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've kept your post open all day! I'm going to write these points down in my journal tonight. I think it's a great way to inspire those of us that live in the South. I'm in Florida, too....but a little ways north of you! Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your ideas. I hope you continue to post your changes!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita, What a clever idea using a 3M Command adhesive hook on your leaded glass door. I'm going to "borrow" your idea to hang fall wreaths on my two leaded glass doors! You're always an inspiration!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you also add fall decor outside and around your pool? if so, what do you add? candles or pumpkins? I am also from South Florida and love all of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. I use pinecones and pumpkins. Most of my fall decor is inside. We Floridians need our Fall fix. XO

      Delete