background

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Small Patio Garden

You don't need a large yard to create a
beautiful garden oasis. 
On my last trip to Texas I enjoyed visiting
with Sharon and John on their pretty patio.
It's along the side of their house and
now a favorite space to enjoy their
 morning coffee or evening glass of wine.
They've added a trellis,
a fountain, lots of flower-filled pots,
 and hanging baskets.
This Hibiscus tree has a braided trunk.
The base of the pot is filled with
colorful plants for contrast texture and colors.
The Crossvine trellis in full bloom. 
Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata) is a plant
native to Texas from Texas A&M.
Here's an excellent article.
Large stone steps lead to the patio
 from both ends. A wrought iron gate
leads to the front yard. A wood fence
adds privacy from the alley that's found in
 most Texas neighborhoods. It's the
 access to their rear entry garages.
 There is also a
  10'wide by 6'deep roof covered area that
leads into the house. It has a Weber gas grill,
 a wrought iron étagère that holds 
containers of plant food, and a
few gardening accessories, etc.
Overflowing purslane/portulac baskets.
Purslane, known botanically as Portulac
Oleracea, is a self-seeding, multi-colored,
flowering annual that's perfect as a ground
 cover or spilling over in containers.
Spring azaleas and hanging baskets filled
with impatiens add pops of bright color.
The baskets are easy to change for
a new look or the seasons.
 Their Labradoodle, Sydney, enjoying a fun
romp in a rare Dallas snowfall.

How did it look before?
Here are some 'Before' photos.

They transformed this formerly bare side yard
 into a lush green haven. This area only
  measures 10-1/2 feet wide.

 It's a dramatic transformation
from a bare space
to 
their little piece of heaven!

Cheers!

17 comments:

  1. I loved that you included both BEFORE and after photos! I love the crossvine. It will grown here in Missouri, but I didn't know the name of it. It has been almost two years since I last visited, I have been working on my doctorage and now I am done! I also changed the name of my blog from Lakewood Manor to Our Good Life. We moved from our Lakewood house in the middle of my dissertation (What??) and I thought the title didn't fit anymore.

    Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply wonderful and lush. Getting to see the before really lets you appreciate their work. It's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful transformation! I love the coziness of this intimate area. Thanks for sharing and especially for showing the before pictures, too. They really convey the possibilities of a space like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness , I had to keep scrolling back and forth between the before and after--the transformation is amazing.-I'd love to have a DIY post on how they started . Georgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a fabulous transformation. I am totally impressed. I wish my backyard looked that good. Great space. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly an amazing job! I love seeing people do things like this! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it's amazing what they were able to do with such a narrow space! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what an amazing job they did with that small area!! Love the before and after shots. Visiting from A Stroll Thru Life, my post is about my friends small garden area too!! Have a nice day, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great transformation!! So pretty! Love the stepping stones and the hanging baskets. Visiting from Inspire Me Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in Dallas TX and you often see the before photo. The owners did an incredible job and made an often unusable space very much usable and enjoyable! I just found your blog through A Stroll Thru Life - Inspire Me Tuesday and I am your newest follower. I would love for you to stop by my blog at http://homeandlifestyledesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

    Beautiful. Simply, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your patio looks amazing! What a gorgeous place to sit and relax. I have a new weekly link party which is live now and I would love if you stop by and link up this wonderful post! Hope to see you there! http://mariaelenasdecor.blogspot.com/ Hugs, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rita! I would love to have you link up to Fishtail Cottage's garden party later this evening???? beautiful makeover...xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's drop-dead gorgeous, but it sure the heck isn't small! Even what you described as the covered 10 x 6 foot wide area (60 square feet!) isn't small. The width of this space at 10 and 1/2 feet is larger than the smallest bedroom in my modest house. Guess it's all a matter of perspective. Did they do the work themselves? What was the budget? How long did it take? Did they buy second-hand and refinish and work up sweat putting in the "stepping stones and doing all the plantings?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my GOSH. That is quite a transformation. What a lovey place they have created. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! It's a little jewel and so well planted. Thanks for sharing. Great inspiration ideas.

    ReplyDelete